THE OKAPI WHO THOUGHT HE WAS ORDINARY
THE OKAPI WHO THOUGHT HE WAS ORDINARY
Introduction
Deep within the lush rainforests of Central Africa lived a young okapi named Koa. Every day he admired the colourful birds, playful monkeys and powerful elephants, wondering why he had been given such an unusual mix of stripes, a long neck and quiet feet. Surely everyone else was more interesting than him.
But when a mysterious forest challenge brings every animal together, Koa discovers that the very things that make him different are exactly what the forest has been waiting for.
Join Koa on a magical adventure filled with hidden paths, unlikely friendships, ancient secrets and one unforgettable discovery that teaches every child a beautiful lesson.
Sometimes the things that make us feel different are the very things that make us extraordinary.
I think this has the potential to become one of your sweetest stories. The okapi is such an unusual animal that most children have never seen one before, which makes the adventure feel magical from the very first page.
Chapter 1
Koa was the youngest okapi in his family. He lived deep in the rainforest where the trees were so tall they seemed to touch the clouds.
Every morning, his brothers and sisters raced through the ferns, splashed in puddles, and played hide and seek between the enormous trees.
Koa always wanted to see what was beyond the next path.
His mum smiled. "Stay close, little one. The forest is wonderful, but it's very easy to lose your way."
"I will!" Koa promised.
But promises are sometimes forgotten when you're full of curiosity.
A bright blue butterfly fluttered past his nose.
"Ooooh!"
Without thinking, Koa trotted after it.
Soon the butterfly disappeared.
Koa looked around.
The paths all looked the same.
"Oh no..."
He was lost.
Chapter 2
Koa tried to remember which way he had come.
"This way... I think."
He walked a little further.
"No... maybe this way."
Everything looked different.
The trees seemed taller.
The shadows seemed darker.
Just then, he heard a tiny squeak.
Behind a bush sat a little forest mouse.
"You look worried," said the mouse.
"I can't find my family."
"I don't know where they are either," the mouse admitted. "I'm looking for my nest."
"Would you like to look together?"
The mouse smiled.
"I'd like that."
Chapter 3
The two new friends searched together.
Whenever Koa became nervous, the mouse reminded him to take slow breaths.
Whenever the mouse felt tired, Koa encouraged him to keep going.
Soon they reached a sparkling stream.
Neither of them knew how to cross it.
Then a friendly tortoise appeared.
"I know a safe way," he said kindly.
Step by careful step, he showed them across the smooth stones.
"Thank you!" they both called.
The tortoise smiled.
"Helping each other makes every journey easier."
Chapter 4
As they continued, they heard rustling leaves.
The bushes shook.
Koa froze.
The mouse hid behind his leg.
Out waddled a baby porcupine.
"I wasn't trying to scare you," the porcupine giggled.
"I got lost chasing berries."
"So did we," Koa laughed.
"Would you like to join us?"
The little porcupine nodded happily.
Now there were three friends searching together.
Chapter 5
The forest suddenly became very quiet.
The path split into three different directions.
"I don't know which way," whispered the mouse.
Koa remembered something his mum always said.
"When you're unsure, don't rush. Stop. Think. Then choose together."
The three friends looked carefully.
One path had tiny hoof prints.
"They look like mine!" Koa exclaimed.
So together they followed the tracks.
Chapter 6
The hoof prints disappeared beneath soft leaves.
"Oh dear," sighed Koa.
Just then colourful parrots swooped overhead.
"Who are you looking for?" one asked.
"My family."
The parrots flew high into the trees.
"We can see much further than you!"
A few moments later they returned.
"We can't see them yet, but they're searching too."
Koa's heart felt a little lighter.
His family hadn't given up.
Chapter 7
Clouds gathered overhead.
Soon rain began to fall.
The three friends huddled beneath enormous leaves.
Koa wrapped his long neck around the mouse to keep him warm.
The porcupine shared berries he had collected earlier.
"We make a good team," smiled the mouse.
"We really do," Koa agreed.
Sometimes getting lost had helped them find wonderful friends.
Chapter 8
When the rain stopped, a familiar scent drifted through the air.
Koa lifted his nose.
"I know that smell!"
It smelled like the flowers near his family's favourite resting place.
They hurried towards it.
Then...
"Koa!"
He recognised the voice.
"Mum?"
Chapter 9
Koa's mum came running through the trees.
Behind her were his dad and every one of his brothers and sisters.
They wrapped around him in the biggest family cuddle.
"We've been looking everywhere!" said Mum.
"I'm sorry," Koa whispered.
"I chased a butterfly."
His mum gently touched his nose.
"We're just happy you're safe."
Koa introduced all of his new friends.
His family thanked each one for helping their little explorer.
Chapter 10
The mouse found his nest.
The porcupine found his family.
Everyone arrived home safely.
That evening, Koa sat beside his mum watching fireflies sparkle through the rainforest.
"I still want adventures," he admitted.
His mum smiled.
"Adventures are wonderful."
"But the best adventures are the ones where we stay together, ask for help when we need it, and always remember the way home."
Koa nodded.
From that day on, he still explored the rainforest with excitement.
Only now, he always made sure someone was exploring beside him.
And every adventure became even better because it was shared.










Comments
Post a Comment